A Greener, Healthier Lagos
At LASPARK we are dedicated and committed to providing a beautiful, safe and healthy state through the establishment of functional parks, gardens and recreational centres. Sprawled across Lagos is a total number of 373 green areas, which includes a recent addition of 60 new areas, that are maintained and monitored by the State, in partnership with private sector organizations, to demonstrate our commitment to continuously enhancing the greenery of Lagos.
By building and rejuvenating green infrastructure, LASPARK is actively engaging the community to endorse a greener and healthier lifestyle by providing volunteering opportunities and learning initiatives and volunteering opportunities at our parks and gardens.
Beyond encouraging understanding, appreciation, and protection of nature and biodiversity, we also hope to cultivate community champions that will ensure the protection of our natural environment of the future.
A Greener, Healthier Lagos.
To create a beautiful, safe and healthy state through the establishment of functional parks, gardens and recreational centres in line with international standards and best practices.
- Team Work
- Environmental Friendliness & Partnership
- To restore the lost glory of Lagos as a beautiful and healthy state.
- To achieve the sustainable development goals by ensuring environmental sustainability.
Operation Green Lagos is anchored on the policy thrust of the present administration of economic sustainability through infrastructural renewal and poverty alleviation.
One of the most visible evidence of this transformation agenda which has continued to attract both local and international commendations for the state is the tree planting, landscaping, and beautification programmes in line with the environmental vision of a flood free, hygienic and beautiful Lagos as encapsulated in the ten point agenda of the state government.
The Ministry of the Environment in 2008 started aggressive tree planting campaign to complement the beautification and landscaping programmes of the Conservation and Ecology Department of the Ministry whose efforts has recorded a modest achievement.
There is no doubt that the global warming is real and the effect of extreme weather conditions around the world has drawn a wakeup call, thus, Lagos and indeed Nigeria, is no exception to its negative impact, like the flooding we experienced in June, 2011.
The greening initiative of the Lagos State Government was therefore conceived not just to beautify the environment but as a deliberate effort to mitigate the effect of climate change, save the environment and protect our future.
Consequently, the Lagos State Parks and Gardens Agency (LASPARK) was created to sustain the modest achievement of the Ministry of the Environment in the area of environmental regeneration and restoration and through the provision of parks, gardens and recreational centres state-wide.
Going Green Goals & Objectives
- To restore order, and improve quality of life in the neighbourhood.
- Mitigate the effect of climate change.
- Ensure environmentally sustainable, healthier and beautiful society.
- Aimed at reclaiming open spaces from all agents of environmental degradation.
- Preserving the biodiversity and ecosystem of the environment.
Functions of the Agency
- Administer, maintain and manage all designated parks and gardens in the state.
- Carry out the general directives and policies of the government in respect of the development, maintenance and management of parks, recreation centres, gardens, playing grounds and open spaces in the state.
- Grant permits on the payment of the prescribed fees in any of the open spaces in the parks or gardens managed by the agency.
- Regulate the hours of use of the open spaces in the state parks or gardens by members of the public.
- Provide and maintain adequate security and environmental sanitation facilities for the state parks, gardens, open spaces and recreation centres.
- Promote afforestation in all ramifications in the state.
- Enumerate and tag all trees within the state inclusive of those in private tenements.
- Monitor and supervise pruning and felling of trees within the state.
- Advise on all matters relating to the greening programme of the state.
- Cause fund for the maintenance of parks and gardens.
- Carry out such other assignment as may from time to time be directed by the Governor.